Common Sense

It has become abundantly clear to me in recent weeks that common sense is something that truly is not common. Regardless of what the topic or circumstances, common sense is just not common. With that in mind I wanted to share some things that I view as common sense but have gotten feedback to think I may be wrong. Am I wrong or are these things supposed to be common sense these days?


 
  • Students are not motivated by grades.
  • Nowhere in the “good teacher handbook” does it say you have to assign homework or grade everything students turn in.
  • A five year old boy will always laugh when he farts…and his two year old brother will too.
  • Technology is merely a tool and does not guarantee increased learning. Used properly, it most certainly can and will increase learning.
  • Education reform is not a buzz word but something being done right now in classrooms around the globe.
  • Pregnant women should not drink alcohol.
  • Standardized tests are but one measurement of a child. Just as a free throw percentage is but one measurement of a basketball player.
  • Good teachers are good because they’re good, not because of tools, resources, or technology.
  • Experienced teachers have just as much to learn from new teachers as they do from them.
  • The Chicago Cubs will always break my heart.
  • Students will not misbehave if they are engaged in meaningful and engaging work.
  • You can’t “make” your students do anything, you can only encourage them.
  • The best way to see if something works is to try it yourself.
  • Everyone is capable of learning.

 
Again, these are things that I view as common sense but maybe I am naïve. What am I missing that should be considered common sense in this day in age?

 

 

 

1 comment:

Sue Downing said...

I also believe that everything on your list should be common sense. I would add:
Smiles beget smiles; criticism begets criticism.
Students will never be more excited about learning than their teachers.